When it comes to your good health, sleep is undoubtedly one of the most important factors. The amount of quality sleep you get each night has a major impact on your energy, vital organ function, and mental wellness. Nearly every day, I see patients that want to improve their sleep. Some have trouble falling asleep, some have trouble staying asleep, and some sleep like a baby but still wake up tired. Why is this?
Our brains have adapted to the busy, stressful life that seems to be unavoidable these days. When we aren’t looking after ourselves, our body has to continuously compensate by increasing adrenal activity, which impacts things like digestion, libido, circulation, fertility, mood, immunity, and sleep!
Many of us have found that we have energetic highs and lows throughout the day. We might crave sugar and junk food. We start avoiding social situations because frankly, we just don’t have the energy for it. Some of the lucky few might find the motivation to eat a healthy diet and exercise, but fall flat after a week because it requires too much energy that simply isn’t there. So what can you do?
Acupuncture has been acknowledged by the World Health Organization (www.who.int) as effective in the treatment of insomnia. Our clinic, Heroes of Victoria, offers gentle acupuncture treatments that can improve sleep, which will then improve focus, balance moods, and help you to feel your most energetic self!
Heroes of Victoria was developed to support emergency responders and their families. Many of our police, firefighters, paramedics, and other emergency personnel live with anxiety, depression, and PTSD. We find that improving sleep can be key in supporting a strong and healthy mind – and body!
Both community (group) and private acupuncture treatments are offered at our clinic, along with customized diet, herbal, and supplement recommendations. Group acupuncture is a great way to get regular acupuncture treatments at a more affordable rate, and private treatments allow for more discussion regarding diet, supplements, and lifestyle recommendations.
In the meantime, here are some tips for getting better sleep TONIGHT!
- Unplug: Turn the TV off, put away the laptop, and set your phone to silent. Get away from electronics for at least 30 minutes before bedtime. Night time information gathering and socializing will encourage your mind to exert, worry, and stress, when it should be resting and reflecting.
- Stretch out: Do a bit of gentle stretching before bed, and it will help you to get more comfortable, faster. Toe touches, side bends, neck rolls, find your stuck spots and stretch it right out!
- Aromathera-zzzzz: Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Bergamot, and Jasmine are all essential oils that can help support sleep and calm nerves in times of stress. Use them in a diffuser or simply put a few drops on cotton wool and place near your bed.
- Take 6 deep belly breaths: No, really, that’s it. Just lay down and take 6 breaths.
- Our minds love repetition, so having the same pre-sleep routine each night will enhance the effects of these steps. Let us know how they work for you!
All are welcome to treatments at Heroes of Victoria, regardless of affiliation with emergency services.
We would love to answer your questions about acupuncture, Chinese medicine, and our approach to wellness. Drop us a line at email@example.com or visit our website at www.heroesofvictoria.com and see what we are all about!